Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Our New Old House

I have finally gotten around to showing you our new house. Now that we have been living here a couple of months we are settled in and getting used to our new neighborhood. I wanted to show you some of the things that charmed us into having this house be our first home. It is smaller than we were hoping for our first home so we have taken to calling it our starter house. I hope you can see why we like it!

 This is a view of our dinning area, as you can see I did indeed finish my table and the shellac was wonderful to work with. I do still need to protect it with wax because it is sensitive to water but for now we have been using place-mats and it is holding up really well. In this photo you can see the picture rail that goes all around the ceiling in our living area. It was really fun to hang our photos and artwork. I used ribbon and it looks really nice but it does take a little getting used to because the frames float on the wall.


 This is what it is like to have frames hanging from ribbon. It looks really elegant. I like it and am glad I choose to follow the inspectors advice and use my picture rail. He told us that since the walls are plaster it would protect them if we used the picture rail instead of pounding nails into the walls. What do you think?


 One of the things we liked when we initially looked at the house was these wall scones. They are really nice and add so much character to our living room. I thought that all of the light fixtures were done in good taste because they seemed to match the character of the house. Our house was built in 1933 and I think it has some arts and crafts influence, which became a really popular decorating style around that time.

 This is our front door and we thought it was so cute that it was rounded. At first we thought we would remove the screen door so you could see it better but now that we have settled in we have both realized that it can be really dark in the house and I have taken to opening the door in the daytime to let the light in.

 This is the original hardware on the front door and I think it is really cool looking. The downside is that we don't have a key and it doesn't appear to function that well. That's OK for us though because we mostly use the back door off the kitchen because it is closer to the garage

 A nice little view of the living room fireplace. I really like it but am already thinking of ways to improve the function of the mantle. I think it needs a bigger mantle because the one we have is kinda skinny. It is a little difficult for me to decorate.


This is our one and only bathroom. It was the only bathroom out of all the houses we looked at that I liked. Most of them had serious issues. One thing my picture doesnt capture is that there is an arch above the shower. It is so cute. We are hoping to either finish the attic or the basement, or maybe both and we will be putting another bathroom in. I am glad that we have never had two bathrooms and are still used to only having one.



This is one of the bedrooms, obviously it is not bubbies room. I really like our room even though it is on the small side. It can be really peaceful in there.

 And last but not least I wanted to show you one of our many original crystal knobs. I have always wanted old door hardware on the interior of my home and I remember looking into a house back in Ferndale that was for sale and loving the fact that all the doors had the old brass knobs. All of our interior knobs are these really cool crystal knobs. I just love them. When we looked at the house I got really excited because we hadn't seen details like the ones in our house in any other house. Our new old house may be small but it is really cute. It is going to be fun for us to fix it up and continue to make it a home that is loved.

6 comments:

Christy said...

So cute! Where is the new house at?? I just love the old houses in this area =)

Marci said...

I love all of the character! It looks like it has so much potential. I can't wait to see what you guys do with it!

Joan said...

You are so good at decorating! I think the character of the house matches your personality. Congratulations!

Sarah said...

Andrea, I just found your blog, and wanted to say hi. Congratulations on your new house. So exciting! I think it is way cute. You have incredible taste and have decorated it so nicely.

Your little guy is so adorable. I don't think I've met him yet; it's crazy how fast they grow. And I saw that congratulations are in order for another one! Yay! I hope you are feeling better soon.

PS We have a blog, too, and I am going to make it private soon. Check it out and leave me your email if you are interested in following it.

Andrea said...

to the Youngbergs, we have been out of town and I wasn't able to catch your invitation and send you an email before you went private... i would like to follow your blog!

Lydia said...

What a great house! I love all the old door hardware-so pretty. And like how you have decorated.