Wednesday, January 20, 2016

California Part III: Catalina Island, Knotts Berry Farm, and Goodbye to Mickey Mouse

We went to Catalina Island. it was a cold day. We braved the top floor of the ferry until we got too cold. Those people sitting behind us were very nice. I think it is funny that she decided to wave in our picture. 








I decided to eat something on the ferry. Ugh, it mad me sea sick. I guess I am getting old or something. Things like that never used to bother me. My little guy had a great time. He loved learning about the ferry as he is so impressed by machines. 



Once on the island we had to go shopping right away to buy some sweat shirts. After that it was time to look for somewhere to eat. We had a great time at lunch. Turns out Grandma and Papa had eaten at this same restaurant before, as they had been out to the island on a cruse. They didn't remember until we sat down to eat. 












For some reason my boy really wanted an American flag. We found one and he was so happy, but then my other kids really wanted one too. They were cute with their flags even though my dramatic middle child had to choose the one flag with the defect, the flag was glued onto the stick upside down. Silly girl. 









Golf carts are a fun thing to do on islands. It reminded Hubs and I of our honeymoon on Isla Mujeres in Mexico.


By the end of the day we were all super tired. We rode back to the mainland on the main deck of the ferry out of the wind so we could all take naps to the hum of the engine.




We went to Knott's Berry Farm on our last day. I love that park. They have so many roller coasters and the day were were there there were hardly any lines. It was fun to run around like a kid and ride rides all day. This ride was in kiddie land. It was by far my kids favorite ride of the whole vacation. Most of the other kids were so unimpressed as you had to move the carts by physical exertion. My kids got on and loved it so much that they didn't want to stop. Since there were no other kids around they got to just keep going, and going and going. After a while their enthusiasm caught on and some other kids would come over thinking it was a great ride. They often would go around one time and then you could see from their faces that they didn't really think it was as much fun as my kids did. I am going to admit here that I was a little proud of my kids for liking this so much over the loud noisy thrill rides. It made me feel like I was doing something right as a parent. It was too funny.


As I type this up my oldest came up and saw the pictures. I asked him if he remembered that ride and he said "Yeah, I wish we could do that ride again."











You can see by my daughters face that she is not into thrills. I think she was thinking that she wished she could go back to the mine carts. 





Trains are cool too. 




Three little jail birds sittin in a cell. 




My kids really wanted to get their picture with Mickey. This wasn't really a photo opp, he was a ticket stand at the hotel. We went with it as we were checking out and they really enjoyed saying good bye to the mouse. They crack me up because they knew right who he was and really seemed to be excited by him even though we are not very involved with mickey mouse in our day to day lives. We don't even really watch Disney films much. Funny kids. 

After all that fun we flew home. It was an awesome vacation! 

No comments: