Sunday, April 10, 2016

Early Easter


















We had a lovely Easter season. We were so happy to have Grandma and Papa here. They spoiled us rotten and it was such a treat. We dyed so many eggs, and enjoyed the early spring weather. On Easter Sunday it was so rainy and cold that we had to postpone our egg hunt for a couple of days. Before we went out to hunt we had a family discussion of the real meaning of Easter. We were so impressed that the oldest two kids could tell us all about it. I felt happy that they knew and were not distracted by all the fun things and gifts given. I hid some of the eggs in the yard instead of dropping them all on the grass and instructed my oldest to find them and save the easy ones for his sisters. They didn't get them all and later my youngest found a few when we went out to plant some flowers.

The weather has been unpredictable with spots of sun that bring warmth and then cold breezes that make you want to run inside. One day will be so nice that you spend all day outside and get your first sunburn and the next day you will want to put your furnace back on and hide under a blanket on the couch and knit while the rain soaks the windowpanes. The garden is starting to grow. We ave garlic, and chives, and lambs ear, and chervil, and parsley, and the calendula and rhubarb are coming up. The leaves are budding out and soon I will have blossoms on the peach tree.  I have started to plant my weekly successions of early spring seeds and dream about buying some patio furniture so we can actually have somewhere comfortable to sit outside in the evenings. My kids have put their first caterpillar of the year in a jar and I often think of the phrase "In the spring at the end of the day you should smell like dirt."

No comments: