Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Settling In






















We are all liking our new place. It is larger than our little old house on Normandie. The kids have been able to spread out a little and I can't say how amazing it feels to have real closets to store our stuff in. We have a huge pile of furniture in our garage that we don't need anymore. Its strange that we had that much furniture in our old house but then I think about how we didn't have any other storage space. Here there is a giant closet under the stairs and giant closets in every room. At first glance the kitchen seemed so small but it is a true galley kitchen and so it is very efficient. I did make a few boxes of dishes that I feel I can finally part with while we live here. I wanted more room in the cupboards for food. I figure I can always get new stuff. I could enjoy a reason to go to vintage stores in my future. 

For the first time ever I have a kitchen that works to photograph food. I also just took over my husbands old phone which helps also. I think I am going to save up for a new camera and perhaps a photography class. I have been cooking a lot here and it feels good to start to establish a normal routine. We are still finding all the stores and places to shop for food but I think we are going to have it all figured out in no time. 

I tried to take a bath the other night. I have been having a slew of migraines. The bathtub is old and such a funny shape. It was so uncomfortable. I am going to have to try to find a bath pillow or something. We think this house was built in the 50s. It has had a lot of updates so in a lot of places it feels more modern but it still has plenty of older touches to give it some character. I have been laughing at it a lot and am glad it is not mine as it is the crookedest house I have ever been in. The walls lean and the floors slope and even my closet door doesn't shut all the way. I don't know if it was built crooked or if it has settled so. I suspect it was a bit of both. At any rate we seem to be doing good and are so much more relaxed here. Life is good.  

No comments: