We are very excited around here because we can finally fit around a decent sized table. Lately I have been scouring craigslist and I found this vintage beauty for free!
Ok I admit it its not that pretty, but it was free. In fact it was quite larger than I anticipated. I got it home and started to sand it down on the back porch, I was thinking it would take me a few weeks to finish. Then my husband put the rush on it and wanted to know if it would be usable within four days. I had purchased some stain for it already and made him help me finish sanding it. Lets just say he was less than thrilled.
I used a water based all in one stain/finish. It took me a long time to decide on what to use because I had tough requirements. First I wanted it to look antique (because it is) and then I didn't want a lot of fumes in my house. I had to finish it inside because we don't have a garage. I had asked a sales clerk to help me find the products with the least VOCs. I ended up with the water based. Lets just say that I am lucky I have a painting degree because this finish was not to be applied with a rag. I had to delicately and speedily paint it on. It dried super fast and it had the potential to be super blotchy.Needless to say it was harder than I expected and did not come out as perfect as I would have liked. Nonetheless the finished table is wonderful, still has a vintage quality about it, and best of all can fit our plates and our food. A much needed improvement from all of the previous teeny tiny tables we have been using our entire married lives. Horray for dinner parties.
And in the end my husband was thrilled too.